Wannabe Art

A place where one old woman shares her daily ups and downs and her attempts at art with strangers and friends out in Internet land.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Postcard Swapping Disappointment

I know that I should keep my mouth shut and my fingers off the keyboard...but must admit that I have been disappointed with my fabric postcard swaps. When I signed up for my three swaps...I signed up with the intentions of making the best postcards I could. I wanted each to be an individual piece of art, and I wanted to make cards that I would be happy to receive and be excited to display. I have found that for the most part, many fellow participants don't feel the same way...their cards are made in mass, made quickly, and are just that a quickly made postcard. I have also found that there are others in the exchange that joined thinking the same way that I do...their little mini pieces of art are wonderful....and when they arrive, are received with eagerness on my part, and are put out for my friends to view and enjoy.

Needless to say, my postcard swapping days are over after I finish these three swaps. I learned a lot, got to try a lot of techniques, and improved my free motion quilting skills...so the time spent on each postcard was not wasted. I created 35 individual postcards, and will have spent over $20 in postage, but most important I learned that postcard swaps are not for me.

Here are my second batch ready to go out after a quick visit to the postoffice to get stamped!

8 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Val said...

Yes it is very disappointing. I can identify with this but I'm glad I did a couple of swaps, if only to get it out of my system.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Karoda said...

After 2 years of swapping I hit a block on postcards (I was surprised because it was such a thrill)...The postcards that I make in the future will be mostly for sale or for charity.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger - said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Very disappointing to receive cards that had no time or thought put into them. I won't be doing any more either.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Our guild did a name tag challenge/swap last year where you drew a name and made a nametag for that person. Like you with the postcards, I spent a lot of time and effort, hand stitched tons of seed beads, etc. The one I received looked like it had been thrown together the day before and was ugly to boot. WAH! So anyway, I'm done with swaps, too, because I've been disappointed way too many times. And as much as I love the postcards, I'm saving them for family and special friends or charitable causes. Reminds me of those old dishtowel and potholder chain letters...somebody always pooped out in the end!

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Dale Anne Potter said...

Yes, I too can identify with this....I joined a small group as I heard from someone in that group that some of the previous swapped postcards were very artful.
Well, NONE of the 6 I got were - they were just commercial printed fabric with alittle quilting.
So, no more swapping for me unless someone asks for a one on one and I know their work!!!
The ones I got would even embarass me to send them to family or a charity!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Joanna said...

I completely agree with you. You know what I also feel really disappointed with is the time you spend on a card and no acknowledgement! In some of these groups, it feels like it just isn't worth it. Anyways, I have started an online group called SurfaceDesign in the yahoo groups. In this group, we explore ideas and concepts a lot more so hopefully the postcards show it! You are welcome to check us out.

Joanna

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in the same boat as you! I was going to drop out of swaps all together, but instead started up my own yahoo group called "advanced fiber postcards". We have a strict rule that you have to spend 1-3 hours per card and no "fussy cut and fused" postcards allowed. Swap groups are small and you have a month or more to make cards. Please check us out! It is a brand new group so we are just getting started, but I hope everyone will produce quality cards.

(I hope the link works!

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Anne,

I stumbled on your blog through the ring.

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment with trading postcards.

When I started quilting I remember joining a group online to swap blocks and quickly deciding I would rather trade fabric than things people had made. The final straw was when someone picked a block made with something like 49 1-inch squares to look like a frog!

Over on flickr there is a group I joined called 6 x 4 lives where you post photos or scans of postcards with no actual trading taking place. Some people's are just amazing!

My blog is at www.wordnerd411.blogspot.com
I'm trying to get into the ring but the link isn't activated yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home