Wannabe Art

A place where one old woman shares her daily ups and downs and her attempts at art with strangers and friends out in Internet land.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

LIPSTICKING THE PIG




Well I have now completed my Susan Sorrell online class that was on Joggles.com. It was all sewn by hand and covered a six week period...a lesson a week. It was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work. Many time I was tempted to sit down at the sewing machine and turn it on. But truthfully I believe using a sewing machine might take way from the folk charm of the piece. I also discovered that you use up a lot of embroidery floss doing a small piece like this (7 X7) because you are using three and sometimes 6 strands of thread. I wish that I had learned to use a thimble before in my sewing life, because your "pushing finger" really takes a beating from the end of the needle. Would I make another one? Probably yes, with a few changes...would incorporate the use of a sewing machine and also use a very thin batting, I mean very thin...as there is a lot of thread built up on the back of the piece. In fact the piece becomes very thick and almost "cardboard-ee".

The jest of the lesson was to take a saying or a quote and turn it into a little piece of art. My saying was "putting lipstick on the pig." (It means taking a situation or something that you aren't really happy or pleased with, and putting on a good "face" about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home