Wannabe Art

A place where one old woman shares her daily ups and downs and her attempts at art with strangers and friends out in Internet land.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

STAIRWAY TO THE STARS


I celebrated getting my first Social Security Check in April...which means that I'm recognized as being old and a senior citizen. I now know that with age comes physical disabilities and stupid little mistakes....On May 3rd I fell up the stairs (not down the stairs)...my foot caught on the ledge of the top stair. I fell into my fabric stash which is stored on a metal rolling cart in plastic bins. My head chose not to hit the fabric, and not to hit the plastic bins, but to aim directly at the metal. Needless to say I saw stars, had a gigantic lump in the middle of my forehead and "grew" two very large black eyes. I looked like I was abused! (Abused by a Fabric Stash Rack)

I opted to hide out, to stay in the house and nurse my wounds. For two weeks I tried to avoid mirrors while my dear husband called me CRASH and GOOSE. While hiding out and healing I decided to make a quilt to mark my little accident. I used Shiva sticks for painting the face...they are my newest favorite toy. In fact I tried out all kinds of techniques that I had been playing with while making my postcards. I am going to hang this quilt which is mounted on a black canvas at the top of the staircase as a reminder of the upward fall, it will be kinda of like
X MARKS THE SPOT.

It will also be a constant reminder to me to make sure I don't catch my foot on the top ledge of the stairs as I go up them, and to hold on tight to the rail as I go down them.



3 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger CalicoDaydreams said...

I love this quilt!

Just remember, women are like fine wines... they keep getting better with age!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Elle said...

Love it!

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger margaret said...

They do say it's lucky to fall UP stairs (better than falling down stairs?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home