Wannabe Art

A place where one old woman shares her daily ups and downs and her attempts at art with strangers and friends out in Internet land.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Thread Painting 101

One of my Postcard swaps is Thread Painting....never had done this before so thought it would be a good experience for me to try. Got the hoop, got the organza, and had all the thread needed....but the hoop dragged and it just wasn't working. So I resorted back to free motion...and did it that way. I was pleased with my results....hopefully those that receive my cards will feel the same way. My pictures aren't the greatest...Sorry about that.

First card is my jellyfish. Free motioned it on fabric that I stenciled and painted. I used 4 layers of organza with different threads in between layers and then used a soldering iron, fused and cut it out for the jellyfish's main body.



My last card is a 2 inch by 2 inch piece of fabric that I fused down and then extended the fabric design by using free motion. I tried to match the threads and colors. This is a technique used in watercolor and I was pleased to find that it worked for thread painting also. The background fabric was created by using Shiva sticks and rubbing plates. It doesn't show up very well in photo...but the background fabric is really neat.

1 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ann,
I just love your blog. YOu are a very tallented lady. I would love to do these projects with my grandaughters. Where can you get the watercolor crayons and what are rubbing plates? I now so little about anything outside the basics of quilting. Your help will be much appreciated.
Lois Walser

 

Post a Comment

<< Home