Wannabe Art

A place where one old woman shares her daily ups and downs and her attempts at art with strangers and friends out in Internet land.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Postcard Making Steps with Camille (10 years old)

First you must choose a pattern or a plan. I chose the dragon on my shorts. The person I am making the card for really likes oriental things as I checked out her blog. Then you need to draw your design and make sure that it will fit on a 4 by 6 inch card.
Then comes the fun part coloring it in. I used colored pencils as I had lots of detail in my dragon. Then I outlined it with a fine line marker. After it was dry we put sealant on it so that the colored pencils wouldn't rub off. Then using watercolor crayons I painted the background of the card. The sealant on the colored pencils helped to keep the watercolor from running.
The back of the card has to be decorated too, I used gold paint and looked up the Chinese word for Dragon.
Next comes the sewing we use a little Wonder Under to hold the two parts of the card together while I stitched. It isn't easy sewing straight. After you finish sewing, you cut any loose threads and then you are ready to stamp it and address it and sending it off.

2 Comments:

At 2:38 AM, Blogger CalicoDaydreams said...

You and the girls can keep trading postcards after they go back home too!

I think it is wonderful you are teaching them fiber arts! Get them hooked when they are young- that is the way to go!

Lol

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Elle said...

I love the dragon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home