Wannabe Art

A place where one old woman shares her daily ups and downs and her attempts at art with strangers and friends out in Internet land.

Sunday, July 08, 2007

WORDS AND THE POWER THEY CARRY

Angry Words once spoken, take on a life of their own...they can haunt one's thoughts, they can be heard as if fresh just before falling asleep and they can dampen a new day's beginning. "Stinging" words don't leave outside scars but their poison goes straight to one's thoughts and eventually reside in one's heart.


Since ANGRY WORDS are on my mind ...went out and found some great sayings about Words and the power they hold. I feel an art quilt beginning to form in my mind. (GRIN)


If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it. ~Earl Wilson


By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill


If you have any problems at all, don't hesitate to shut up.


When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.


Trying to be right all the time is a very subtle way of being wrong.



Food isn't the only thing that causes indigestion. You can also get it from eating crow and swallowing your pride.



6 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ann...hope you make a quilt...I always liked the one you did about falling up the stairs. Sometimes our quilts help to heal hurt feelings. Also loved the girls swimming with the dolphins...I have always wanted to do that...but not too many Dolphins in Alaska. (grin)
Judith B.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liked the sayings...especially the one about swallowing the evil words.I still remember to this day, a name my step father called me when I was 16. It still is embedded in my memory and I'm now 52. Words can be amazing in songs, in great speeches, in poems, in novels, and in communication....but boy those evil ones can do us damage.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Deb Lacativa said...

Sounds like someone has been aggravating you!

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words go both ways...so do apologies. At the end of the day, WE ALL live in glass houses.

An innocent bystander

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Ann Morrell said...

Dear innocent Bystander,

Are any of us innocent? I think not. Yes ,words go both ways...speaking angry words hurts both the speaker and the listener. Apologies should be heartfelt and only made when the party truly is sorry...and decides that not only are they sorry but they accept their part in the "word explosion." It is not a one way "I'm Sorry" street...it has to go both ways as you suggested. But I also feel that every thing should be done by both parties to make sure that not only are apologies made but also changes in their attitudes are made so that there are no reoccurances in the future.

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Kay said...

Thanks for the quotations. I particularly like the one about trying to be right all the time. Fits my husband. And one that fits me is one I saw somewhere else: A sharp tongue can cut your own throat.

I hope you do make a quilt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home