Wannabe Art

A place where one old woman shares her daily ups and downs and her attempts at art with strangers and friends out in Internet land.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Week Two with Pamela Allen

This week our assignment was to choose two colors and use those to create our masterpiece...we could use various shades of the colors and also fabric that contained both colors. We could also go back and pull from our stash of black and white fabric. I chose blue and green for my color scheme. She also allowed us to use small amounts of other colors to get a pop of interest in the piece. So the first thing I did was go through the fabric bins looking for fabric.


Next order of business was to come up with an idea...Pamela is always using the expression " Hand of the Artist." After repeating that phrase a picture came into my mind...an artist with a gigantic hand working at an easel.

Now remember we are "chunking it". We cut out shapes with scissors...we don't draw and we don't use patterns. We glue our "chunks" down with a glue stick. No sewing is done until the design is complete and right.


Here is my "beginning piece." (Not a great image as the light in the sewing room and the flash of camera are not happy with each other. But you can get an idea of what I am trying to do.

The next piece of advise that I have learned is that I should now change my image to grayscale...and by removing the color I should be able to see areas that need corection, I can also see my values, etc.

So here is the grayscale version:


Now I can see some glaring mistakes...easel off balance...book shelf not large enough etc...also can see where I need more contrast between my fabrics. So on the computer took my gray out image and tried out some fixes using the paintbrush feature. Since all of the pieces are only glued down..they are easy to pull up and remove... or add to...so tomorrow I can start making some revisions on the piece. Then when I feel like I am OK with it...will submit to Pamela and wait for her comments and suggestions. My goal is to use what she taught us in Week One to correct this piece...so she doesn't have to repeat what she shared with us last week.



Made a few changes and am now ready to send to the teacher.....(get that flip in my stomach like I use to do before a big test in school.)



GOT MY PIECE EVALUATION BACK.....

I got an A! I got an A! I can start stitching! I can start Stitching!

3 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger Vicki W said...

That looks like a great class!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Karoda said...

This really does look like a fun class.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger My Brain on Quilts said...

Ann,

This is really a great piece and your imagery is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your creation process.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home