Wannabe Art

A place where one old woman shares her daily ups and downs and her attempts at art with strangers and friends out in Internet land.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Ms. Bama Love....I love You


I've been bit by the ancestry bug...not so much for myself but for some older pioneer women who lived their lives in the early days of Grayton Beach. I want to do an art quilt series on three of them that have captured my fancy. The first one that has captured my heart with her story is Bama Love. Doesn't the name just grab you...you know hearing that name, that this lady has a great story to tell. Born in Louisiana 1877 and died in 1961...she lived and saw a lot in her 84 years. She was married twice, the first time at age 16. Bama had four children, three which survived into adult hood. She was the medicine woman for the area, she also was the local midwife, and in her spare time she raised vegetables that she sold to the locals. Rumor has it that her husbands were buried in her garden after dying under strange circumstances and that her vegetables were some of the biggest and best in the area. Perhaps it was the fertilizer that she used? Again that is only rumor, (but so far I haven't been able to find any official death notices for these two guys...births yes...death no.) I even came across a photo of her in a book...it is fuzzy, but it shows that even with age she was a strong woman and was still doing and taking care of herself. I think it will be fun to tell her story via an art quilt.

1 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i am Bama's great granddaughter and some of these so called facts are not true she had 4 living children all survived to adulthood and other facts need are also not true

 

Post a Comment

<< Home