Wannabe Art

A place where one old woman shares her daily ups and downs and her attempts at art with strangers and friends out in Internet land.

Sunday, January 09, 2011

My Snow Card

I received a Cricut and a Cuddlebug for Christmas. i wanted to use them in my fiber arts and my journaling adventures. I have never been into scrapbooking even though I take a lot of pictures. I don't have the money to spent on Cricut cartridges (some are almost $90 a pop) so I decided that I would purchase a software program that allowed me to make my own cut files and create fonts that are already installed on my computer.

Short Story...the card making is rather fun. It really allows you to make a personal statement and use your creativity. As I was searching the web for ideas I came across the following site, Cooking with Cricut Com ( http://cookingwithcricut.blogspot.com/2011/01/1st-challenge-of-2011-new-dt.html )

They were having a challenge...make a card that had to deal with Snow. I live in Florida...we don't have snow...we do have cold weather, but snow ....no way. I only have two cartridges, the George and one called Splish Splash...neither one relates to Snow. So I had to use my software to get my card design.


The blue cardstock on my card was run through my Cuddlebug and embossed with swirls. My snowman was originally a piece of public domain clipart. I took it into the software, broke it down into parts, and then turned it into a cut file. I used black cardstock, orange cardstock and white cardstock for the snowman. The large snow flakes were also clipart which I resized and then cut with the Cricut from silver metallic cardstock. The eyes, mouth and buttons were added on with a black marker. The snow is white acrylic paint and of course there is glitter, a card without glitter would be a very sad card indeed. My grandkids always look forward to Snow Days because it means no school...so my card is called Snow Day. I had lots of fun making it and enjoyed the whole process. I was pleased with the way it turned out.


11 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Mary K. McGraw said...

You sure know how to get the most out of a new toy. Looks like you had fun.

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Dalis said...

wow! you did awesome, can't believe you are a newbie in the cricut world. Wanted to let you know that Michaels is clearancing tons of cartridges for only $10 a piece! Also, check on ebay, you can get good prices for... in addition melinda's (cooking w/ cricut) files are superb, so you may want to give that a try. You would need a software like Make the cut to cut them out, but so worth it because then you can cut ANY font you have in your computer.

Thanks for playing with us, hope to see you in this week's challenge coming up on Wed!

-- dalis
Cooking with Cricut DT

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Love the snowman. Thanks for playing along with us at Cooking with the Cricut this week.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Madison said...

Too cute:) No school! I love that that!! You did a great job. Thanks for joining us this week at Cooking with Cricut.
~Madison CWCDT www.funkycards.blogspot.com

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Great job, Ann! And welcome to the wonderful world of Cricuting! Thanks for joining us at Cooking With Cricut this week.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Stacey's Creative Corner said...

Welcome to the world of cricut! This is a great card! That snowman is so cute and I love the embossing you did! Thanks for joining us this week at Cooking with Cricut!

Stacey
staceyscreativecorner.blogspot.com

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Great job!! Hope to see you again at cooking with cricut :)

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Raven B said...

This is soooo cute!!! I am lovin it!
Hugs,
Raven

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

WOW! What a fabulous job when you only have two cartridges, you are very creative. Thanks for coming over and joining us at Cooking with Cricut. TFS

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Roberta Guditis said...

Too cute! :) Thanks for playing with us at Cooking with Cricut

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger mum of two said...

What a great card! Welcome to the wonderful world of CricutThanks for playing with us this week at Cooking with Cricut :)

michelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home